Monday, August 29, 2016

AC is a blessing

Hey all!

It's been a hot week here in Palmdale, but that's alright. I'm getting used to it. ( his air conditioning was out for 2 days) I think I lost my sunglasses though. It gets really cool in the evenings, mostly because it is so windy. Despite the wind, I haven't had to deal with any dust storms or anything yet.

There have been some fires around here too, but they've been a little ways away and out of my area. Not that my area is very large. It's basically all populated, but has no parks or anything, so it's kinda hard to find things to do once the sun goes down, since we're not supposed be knocking doors at all after the sun sets, unless we have an appointment set up.

So about the 92-year old woman I was teaching. She's great, but her family stopped by and told her to not meet with us anymore since they want her to stay in the church she's been in her whole life. We're stepping back for the moment, but we're not giving up yet. We'd have pushed more then, but there's so little chance when she's so old for her family to forgive her. She'll be able to accept the Gospel after this life though, even if we cannot get the fullness of it to her yet.

We're also teaching an autistic young man who is super great. He gets what we teach for the most part, but his responses don't always show it. He wants to get baptized, and would be ready if we could get him to come to church, but his mom is really sick and has a hard time coming. They're a great family, and we're working hard to get him out.

There's a less-active, part member family we've tried to visit a lot, but haven't gotten to teach a lesson to yet. One young man in particular is almost ready to be baptized, but his dad wants to do it and won't come to church. The mom really wants to get sealed too, so I hope that his heart will be softened. I felt inspired to ask them to read the Book of Mormon as a family, but we haven't had the chance to invite them yet.

We also met a super cool Latino guy with a couple of older kids who invited us in and listened to us. He'd been helped out by missionaries before, but hadn't had the lessons, so we taught him the restoration. He was so excited that hisquestions got answered, about things like why there were so many Christian churches and why God only called prophets in Israel in the Bible. He told us he knew he needed to get back on the right path, and that it was our job to get him there, but we had to tell him we're just there to teach and invite, he has to work hard too.

I love these people, even though I just met them. Missionary work is cool that way. I'm constantly blessed with courage I haven't had before, and words I've never thought of. God qualifies those He calls when they work hard, and although my work isn't perfect, we've still been blessed.

I started collecting bottlecaps and writing a number on the back. I'm trying to get one every day, but I got a little ahead of myself trying to catch up for the days I was at the MTC, so the next one I need to get will be number 37 on Thursday. So many bottlecaps is going to be heavy by the end of my mission, haha.

I hope everyone at home is doing well. God be with you until we meet again!

Elder Adams

No comments:

Post a Comment