Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Camel Spider and a Brand New...

Companion! This is the first day of a new transfer, and tomorrow I'll be receiving the best Christmas present a guy could ask for- A son! I'll be training another missionary, which I'm super pumped for. Elder Chamberlain will be venturing to the far-off land of Taft, to be with Elder Taylor (who I sent a companion to be with before, Elder Webb.)

This week I found a camel spider in my bathroom. I would have taken a picture, but I was too busy smashing it. I'm glad I saw it before it saw me. Our bugs have upgraded. It used to be just these obnoxious but harmless beetles.

Besides the aforementioned horror, it's been a good week. The best week actually, especially with that great transfer news.

On Wednesday we got to head down to the temple. I love going to the temple, it's really so cool. I hope I'll be able to keep up my zeal for it when I go home- it'll be close enough I won't have many excuses not to go. Surely there are some ancestors whose work hasn't been done yet, too.

Thursday we had surprise cleaning inspections. Surprise! We only found out a couple hours before. But that's okay because I keep everything clean anyway. We planned after that and that was the day. Normal day.

Sometimes it feels like I haven't made a difference in an area too much. Things are still so similar to how they were before! But I can go look at the area book and say "oh but look at these people who got taught more and progressed at least a little bit." It adds up over time. I hadn't realized just how much we actually end up doing. That's the cool thing about keeping a journal, too. It's hard to ignore the hand of God in your life if you can look back at all the times you saw it.

Friday was the ward Christmas party. I love those, it's so nice to be able to be with everyone and celebrate something we all care about. We got to meet a couple non-members who might be interested as well, so I can't complain.

Nicole is doing... eh? She's having troubles with the Word of Wisdom. Not in practice, in concept. She can keep it, yes. But she doesn't think she has to be 100% on it. So we're working on that.

Our other great investigator, Noah, couldn't come to church this week or last week because his sister's car got stolen... uh oh. Rotten pre-Christmas luck.

We talk to lots of people that have lots of problems out here. Some have family issues, some are in dire financial straits, some have health trouble- it seems like many have all of the above and more. We talked to two this week that stuck out to me, and reminded me of the sisters in President Uchtdorf's talk from the most recent women's session of General Conference. One is mad- everything is someone's fault and she's angry about it. No one wants to help her and she drives everyone away. Instead of asking for help, she just expects it should be given to her. The other one (who honestly has more on her plate) accepts what comes gracefully and tries her best to keep going, to remain positive and help others. What's the difference? I'm sure there's plenty, but the happier one (at least in my view) is keeping the commandments better. She's making church a priority, she pays her tithing, she keeps the Word of Wisdom. And while things might be hard, she knows the joy that will come in the future, and like Moroni, can "hope for a better world." Truly, wickedness was never happiness, and those that keep the commandments of God are in a more blessed and happy state, even in their struggles.

Thank you for all your support, and merry Christmas!
Elder Adams

No comments:

Post a Comment